Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Progress on the hillside, part 3


I'm long overdue for a progress update about the sunny hillside. Since my last update, I dug out and planted the middle section between the blueberries and new raspberries. Again, the cardboard worked very well at killing the grass, I dug it out only because there was old landscape fabric underneath that I needed to get rid of.

First, the area right above the blueberries, where I started a rock stream.





Plants:
  • Bear grass - Xerophyllum tenax 
  • Penstemon davidsonii 
  • Harebell - Campanula rotundifolia 
  • Sedum spathulifolium
  • Thrift - armeria aliacea 'Dusseldorf Pride', and armeria meritima

Then the lower part of the rock stream.



Plants:
  • Oregon stone crop - sedum oreganum
  • Lewisia 'Regenbogen'
  • Lewisia columbiana 'Rupicola' - added after the above picture, I bought one plant and divided into five
  • Roemer's fescue - Festuca idahoensis subsp. Roemeri
  • Thrift - armeria aliacea 'Dusseldorf Pride' 

And finally, the rest of the middle.


Plants:

  • Salvia, 'Hot Lips'
  • Penstemon, two 'Rocky Mountain' and one unknown variety
  • Lupine - lupinus, 'My Castle'
  • Kinnikinnick, 'Vancouver Jade'
  • Wild strawberries, transplanted from nearby

The plants along the rock stream are all native, those in the middle are "near" native - there are varieties that are native, but not easy to find. The one exception is the hot lips salvia, which I couldn't resist. They are all drought resistant, once established. I have a drip line on the blueberries and will add one for the raspberries, but I don't plan to regularly water anything else on this hillside.

Everything is growing well so far, including a few weeds - time to weed and mulch!
Sedum and thrift
Hot lips salvia

Penstemon
Lewisia

Wild strawberries spreading near the raspberries

I had planted a few packets of wildflower seeds and poppy seeds along the strip at the bottom of the hillside and was disappointed that only a few were coming up. Suddenly, they've all sprung up and getting ready to bloom.



There is still a section of cardboard at the top of the hill, which is probably next on my list. I have a few stepping stones, matching those going up the hill, to create a pathway across the top. The grape trellis at the top is a problem though, it's going to block the path until we get it reconfigured - maybe in the fall. 

I also just started a new experiment with two large sections of clear plastic - more about that soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment