Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day - May 2016


I'm a couple of days late for Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day, but I missed April completely so better late than never! Carol at May Dreams Gardens hosts GBBD each month and it's always fun to check out what's in bloom around the country and around the world.

I've been posting "what's in bloom this week" almost every week, not sure if I'll keep doing that all year but it's been fun so far. Sometimes there's such a huge difference from week to week, and it helps remind me to get out and really look at my yeard.

Roses continue to be the big bloomers this week. I'll have to count one of these days but we have about 20 rose bushes along the front and north side of our yard.






A few of the new plants that I've added in with the roses this year are blooming, including these fern leaf lavenders.
Fern leaf lavender

In my partial shade retaining wall bed, the hardy geranium are starting to bloom. I've also transplanted a few pieces into the rose garden and they are doing well there too. I'm guessing these are Johnson's Blue, but hard to tell for sure.
Geranium
The foxglove that I planted earlier in the spring continues to bloom, now there are much smaller spikes around the main stem.
Foxglove

One blue poppy has a second bloom, and looks like a third will pop out too. The other plant shows no sign of blooming - hopefully next year.
Blue poppy with bonus geranium

Also these aquilega, which I found on super sale last month and couldn't resist. I deadheaded and now they're blooming nicely.


The flowers taking over my vegetable garden are still going strong, an unknown bearded iris, oriental poppies and lupine. 
Oriental poppies, lupine, bearded iris
I really like the color combo of the oriental poppies with a new gazing ball. See my reflection? More super sale aquilegia hidden just behind the poppies.



I've finished another section of the lower hillside, which I'll post details of later in the week. I couldn't resist buying a hot lips salvia, already in bloom. The blooms are red and white, although I think even just the red is gorgeous. 
Hot lips salvia

And a lewisia, which was very crowded in it's little nursery pot, I divided into five pieces. I'll confess I'm never too impressed with tiny pale blooms, but I love the leaves. 
Lewisia

Just below the sunny hillside is an area that I hope to build into a native meadow. The showy camas bloomed weeks ago, but blue eyed grass is peeking out now. 
Blue eyed grass

What's coming next week? More roses, I'm sure! Maybe my new penstemon that is next to the hot lips salvia. 

2 comments:

  1. Your roses are beautiful. None yet in upstate New York, where I live, but our columbines are blooming now. Our dogwoods are almost at the end but have been stunning this year. Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I've really noticed how gorgeous dogwoods are here this spring too.

      Delete