Tuesday, May 24, 2016

In bloom this week: May 24, 2016

Peas!
Peas are growing spectacularly well this year, I can't wait to eat them all.

The foxglove and geraniums that are nearby in my shade garden are lovely too, plus lavender on the sunnier edge.

Foxglove and geranium
Lavender

My flowers that are taking over the vegetable garden are fading now, the iris is done and oriental poppies and lupine are finishing up. I cut the remains of the first blooms off of these aquilegia when I planted them and now they're blooming again - a good super sale purchase.

Oriental poppy
Lupine
Aquilegia

I did some deadheading in the roses this afternoon and was surprised at how many are just starting to have full blooms. There are a few that bloom early and are done with their first blooms, but now is the peak for many others.





More lavender in the rose garden, white and Munstead; these are tiny little plants still.




On the sunny hillside, all of my new plants are settling in well. Two of the penstemon are blooming, nice shades of purple to go with the red and white salvia. I still need to write up info about everything that I've planted on this hill!

Penstemon
Penstemon
Hot lips salvia

At the top of my rock stream, yarrow is blooming along with thrift and sedum. At the bottom, one lewisia keeps on blooming, happy to be out of the very crowded nursery pot.

Yarrow, thrift and sedum (plus low hanging blueberries)
Sedum and thrift
Lewisia blooms mixing in with lupine leaves

I also have a few aquilegia towards the shadier side of the hill, they've been cheerfully blooming all spring. I don't know why I never tried to grow aquilegia before, they have great flowers in so many varieties.



At the bottom of the hill - blue eyed grass is another of my new favorites, why did I not know that this plant existed?



A couple of random flowers from a wildflower mix. Not a whole lot came up, but there are now a few flowers and it was a temporary plan anyway.




By next week, this fireweed may start to open up. They grow from seed every year at the very bottom of my rose garden and bloom for most of the summer.


No comments:

Post a Comment