Saturday, February 4, 2017

In bloom this week: Feb. 4, 2017

Hyacinth in kitchen window

Now that I've crossed over a year of blogging, it's very interesting to compare with what was blooming last year. This year has been much cooler and overall drier (certainly not dry today!), but so far there isn't a lot of difference in what's blooming. I'm enjoying camellias and hellebores now because I planted them last year, and observing what else is in bloom around the neighborhood that I could plant this year. Perhaps snow drops and witch hazel!

Chimonanthus, wintersweet

Oregon grape - has weeks to go before real blooms
Pieris japonica - not new but I kept forgetting to take pictures last year

Rosemary

Camellia 'Yuletide'

Helleborus 'Pink Frost'

Helleborus 'Cinnamon Snow'

Indoors, my one African violet expanded to four somewhere over the course of the year, and two are in bloom now.

African violets

I've been experimenting with forcing bulbs this winter, and most of these hyacinths are coming along nicely. The two on the right were the worst looking bulbs, but I also put them in the vases later. They all cooled in the fridge and then the garage for the same time though.

Hyacinth indoors, wintersweet out the window

What's next? Lots of bulbs coming up, and I do expect to start to see that those are later than last year. I also planted many new bulbs in the spring... now to see if I remember what's where!

Daffodils

No comments:

Post a Comment