Tuesday, February 28, 2017

In bloom this week: Feb. 28, 2017

Amaryllis

Hello, spring - wait, have some more snow! I still love the snow but also waiting eagerly for spring in my garden. I guess that's a good thing, I'll be happy no matter what the weather is.

Indoors, one of my amaryllises put on a nice show, with three flowers. This is one of two that I've had for years, plus a bunch of baby bulbs that I hope will someday bloom. Two of my African violets are blooming, and a third has buds. A spider plant has been blooming all winter and shows no signs of stopping. And I've been buying tulips for the kitchen window, which one of our cats loves to chew on. 

Cat nibbled tulips

Outdoors, we are definitely lagging behind last year with nothing new in bloom in the last two weeks, except a gorgeous witchhazel 'Diane' that I just planted this weekend. The hellebores, rosemary and pieris japonica are still lovely too. 

Witchhazel 'Diane'

A little snow doesn't bother witchhazel

Hellebores stay cozy and warm

Pieris japonica

Pieris japonica doesn't mind snow either

Rosemary wishes it had a snow picture too

What's next? Crocuses, hyacinth and a daffodils are coming up, but I wouldn't bet on blooms within the next week. The forsythia is close though.

Forsythia

No comments:

Post a Comment