Tuesday, August 2, 2016

In bloom this week: Aug. 2, 2016

Coreopsis 'Red Satin' and Gaillardia 'Arizona Sun'

I have a fondness for blues and purples, so much that I have a hard time buying plants that will bloom in other colors. A little white is necessary for balance, pink and red tag along with purple, plus those are classic rose colors and I love my roses - but yellows, oranges and dark reds are rare in my garden (and my wardrobe).

Here's a few of those rare colors in bloom now:

Zinnia, outside the front fence

Zinnia, outside the front fence
Achillea millefolium 'Desred', in the rose garden (also planted on the sunny hillside)
Calendula in the rose garden, a volunteer from the neighbor's yard
Gladiolus between the shady bed and bottom of the rose garden

Coreopsis 'Red Satin' on the sunny hillside

Gaillardia 'Arizona Sun' on the sunny hillside
Oregon stonecrop on the sunny hillside
Crocosmia on the sunny hillside

Crocosmia on the sunny hillside

That is almost every single plant in my yard with yellow, orange or dark red flowers! Here's a bonus with dark red foliage - well ok maybe almost purple!
Ornamental maple

No comments:

Post a Comment