Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day - August 2016

Salvia
I don't know where the last month went but it's time for Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day again. Thanks to Carol at May Dreams Garden for hosting the monthly roundup!

We're in the hottest part of summer, the grass is all brown and early summer blooms are definitely gone. I'm envious of all of the hydrangeas around my neighborhood and making plans to plant some, but I do have quite a few perennials in bloom.

In my rose garden, where all of the plants are new this year except the roses.

Creeping bellflower
Catmint
Yarrow, calamint in front and Heron's bill in the back left




A few last flowers in my shadier bed below the roses.

Hollyhocks fallen over the lavender
A very late foxglove, planted in the spring and just now blooming
Fireweed with very interesting fasciation

Flowers in my vegetable garden, where it's nice to see blooms because my vegetables aren't doing that great this year.

Dahlias are loving the warmer weather

Aquilegia,bought on sale in the spring when it was almost done blooming, now reblooming
Lupine, reblooming

On the sunny back hillside, again mostly new plants this year. I especially love the aquilegia because I planted them from seed and didn't expect blooms until next year.

Aquilegia
Thrift, armeria meritima, has been blooming all summer
Harebell, campanula rotundifolia
A drought resistant lupine, 'Hot Lips' salvia and a glimpse of penstemon in front
Yarrow reblooming

Seeing these all together, I'm surprised at how many of my flowers have been blooming and reblooming for months. I'd like to add more fall blooms though. What's in bloom in your garden in late summer?

No comments:

Post a Comment