Tuesday, April 5, 2016

In bloom this week: Apr. 5, 2016

Forget-me-not
I was working in the back yard on Sunday and realized that there was no sign of the forget-me-nots that usually bloom in one little section along the fence. Then on Monday, there they were! They're mixed in with purple dead nettle, which I think is a lovely combination.

Forget-me-not and purple dead nettle

The small anemones in my front yard have been blooming for weeks, now the big ones in the back yard are just starting. I didn't keep track of what the small ones are, but these are anemone coronaria 'Mr. Fokker'.

Anemone

Lilacs are just barely starting to bloom, mostly the ones that are higher up on the bushes and not shaded as much by our house. They will be in full bloom and the front porch will smell lovely by next week.

The first of the lilacs

My two apple trees are now in full bloom. I tend to favor blues and purples, but I love the pink as the apple blooms are about to open.

Apple

Other apple

The geraniums that I'm letting grow wild on the lower section of the rose garden are starting to bloom too. I think these are geranium robertianum, which are somewhat invasive, but they're pretty and small so I'm taking the chance of letting them grow.

Wild geranium

I finally figured out how to get an in focus picture of rosemary. This plant has been blooming for at least three months now and still has new buds.
Rosemary

Oregon grape bushes have had blooms for months too, some of the blooms are done but now the tops (which get the most sun) are turning almost purple.
Oregon grape

No comments:

Post a Comment