Wednesday, April 13, 2016

In bloom this week: Apr. 13, 2016

Lilacs
Lilacs! We have giant old overgrown bushes next to the front porch. There were barely any blooms the first year, because the previous owners had chopped them flat across to look nice for the sale. We just let them grow wild.

Overgrown lilacs

A couple of very early roses are blooming. These aren't very healthy blooms, but they are a nice hint for coming weeks.

Early roses

The wisteria is also blooming, this is the only time of year that I like the plant. It's boring in the winter and way too much work in the summer. I cut it way back this winter, it seems fine with that and hopefully will help keep it under control this summer.

Wisteria

The anemones that I mentioned last week are open now, I love the blue!

Anemone

Other bulbs continue to bloom, including one lonely allium - I wish I had written down what type it is.

Allium

On the fruit front, strawberries are starting to bloom. How many weeks until ripe berries?

Strawberry

Hardy kiwi are also just starting to bloom, I thought that would happen weeks ago but may finally see full bloom next week.

Hardy kiwi

And my bluebells - a birthday present from my husband last fall - are finally starting to grow blooms. I thought they might not at all this year, since all of the others around our neighborhood are in full bloom now, but the flower stems have popped up almost overnight.

English bluebell


No comments:

Post a Comment