Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day - March 2016

Anemone
Spring is here! The sun actually came out this afternoon so some of my photos are a little washed out.

All of my spring bulbs are blooming, daffodils, anemones, hyacinth and even early tulips. I particularly like the little anemones, which have survived right next to the gas line replacement in the front corner of our front yard.

Tulips, anemone and daffodil with bonus bee
Some of my hyacinth have been knocked over, but not this one lone pink version. 

My one pink hyacinth

My flowering currant bushes seem brighter every day; this is my favorite spring bush and I love that the blooms go on and on. It's been a full month since the very first bloom came out. See last week's close up pictures.

Daffodils through the flowering currant
A few zinnias have survived along the sidewalk, they lived through the winter and are now blooming before they would normally have been coming up at all. At least, I think they're zinnias - they've been coming up from seed from the former next door neighbor for about 10 years.

Not an annual this year

Sometimes the plants that appear on their own are pretty too. I'm pretty sure this is purple dead nettle, which is coming up in the shadier areas of my yard. I prefer it to the more invasive weeds, so I'm leaving it be and enjoying the little blooms.
Purple dead nettle?

Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day is hosted by Carol at May Dreams Gardens. Check out all of the other gorgeous blooms!

2 comments:

  1. Lovely! I think what you may think are zinnias are calendula. The leaves have a little sour taste and they bloom much earlier than zinnias.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's possible, but don't calendula have textured edges on the leaves? These are smooth tapered leaves. New plants aren't even coming up from seed yet, these survived the winter. Usually they bloom all fall and then die.

    ReplyDelete