Tuesday, February 9, 2016

In bloom this week: Feb. 9, 2016


First crocus!
We went away for a few days to play in the mountains, came home this afternoon and this crocus caught my eye as we pulled into the driveway. It could be the only crocus in my yard right now. Reminder: plant more crocuses!

I walk past this lily-of-the-valley shrub every day without noticing, I'm so used to it being completely overgrown by wisteria in the summer. But it is a nice looking shrub in the winter, and hopefully will be more visible all year now that I've cut the wisteria back.

Lily-of-the-valley shrub

The hairy bitter cress is blooming nicely, of course. I'm fairly certain that's what this is, not chickweed, because the dried seeds will explode all over when you touch them. It will grow pretty much everywhere in my yard, so I just try to keep it out of the planned beds. I'm trying to adjust my perception of what a weed is, and have to admit this is kind of pretty in the lawn.

Hairy bitter cress in the lawn
Otherwise, February fools me - as usual. The month starts with such hope for spring, which takes it's own sweet time to arrive. The Oregon grape bushes are still not quite in bloom, the forsythia has buds but no yellow visible, the daffodils look like they could bloom - any day now. Is there a saying about watched buds not blooming?

No comments:

Post a Comment