Wednesday, March 7, 2018

In bloom this week: March 7, 2018

Daffodil!

We're in that transition time when it feels so close to spring but winter is not giving up. Hellebores and cyclamen are still merrily blooming and daffodils and other spring bulbs are starting. I'm really noticing how much more is in bloom than previous years, all that planting is paying off. Of course there are always more plants to drool over....

Winter blooms, by my arbitrary definition - all have been blooming at least since January:

Helleborus 'Cinnamon Snow'
Helleborus 'Pink Frost'
Helleborus x hybridus 'Black Diamond'
I think this is Helleborus x ballardiae Gold Collection 'Maestro'
Camellia 'Yuletide'
Lingering snowdrops
Cyclamen coum

And spring - yes, I do only plant purple crocuses:

Newly planted Saxifraga 'Touran - Deep Red'
Newly planted daisy, bellis perennis 'Tasso Red'


What's next? Very early species tulips and a couple of my favorite native bushes, Oregon grape and flowering currant (which I can't seem to get a good photo of this year). And a lot more spring bulbs!

Species tulips
Oregon grape

2 comments:

  1. I'm always so surpsried to see people so near by with Daffodils already blooming when mine are still just nosing up above the ground. I'm only 600 feet further above sea level, but that little bit makes a difference. Nice to see what's blooming in your garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always like seeing what people who live nearby have blooming! Different varieties bloom earlier too of course. I looked for early blooming daffodil bulbs last fall - but those that I already had planted are blooming first.

      Delete