Tuesday, February 6, 2018

Garden tour, part 2

Daffodils!

In part 1, we walked down the north side of my yard, now we'll go back up the south side. The lot is about 178 feet deep, down the slope, but only 75 feet wide, so we go up and down a lot.

Here's the back corner and meadow again from the other side. I need to pull more grass and weeds, keep a close watch so the knotweed doesn't come back in the corner, and do a little more planting - but not too much.

View north from the back corner

Turning uphill, this is the shadier side of the bottom slope. Once upon a time, it was completely shaded by old plum trees. Now, it's only shaded by the bushes that have grown giant - flowering currant, tall Oregon grape, and hazelnuts. They all need pruning, and I'm planning to dig out the worst of the weeds (there are a few blackberries), add wood chip mulch all around the the flowering currant and then plant native groundcover. I've added a few plants around the edges but have a lot more to do this year.

Looking east from the bottom, hazelnuts and Oregon grape
Path up the hill to the hardy kiwi trellis
Looking back down at the flowering currant jungle
Looking north, hardy kiwi and grapes

Continuing up the hill, past the retaining wall, here is my biggest project from last year, the woodland garden. Everything is still small, including the maple tree, but I'm already enjoying watching it grow.

My play garden is also here, right next to the patio so I can easily water. This is a mix of flowers that I'm growing because I like them even if they are higher maintenance. I expanded this whole bed down the slope in the fall to get it further from the maple tree.

Looking east up the hill
Play garden in front
Under the kitchen deck
Path up from the patio
Looking west, back down the slope

Continuing up and through the gate, we're back in the front yard. The front side yard was also a major project last year so now needs weeding, planting more groundcover, and patience for everything to grow in.

East from the gate
Moss and foxglove along the south fence
East along the driveway
Looking back, west, from the street

I haven't talked about pathways yet, and I need to put together a map. I guess that'll be part 3!

No comments:

Post a Comment