Monday, January 15, 2018

Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day - January 2018

Hamamelis x intermedia 'Diane'

I'm feeling rather pleased with myself for finally planting for winter interest last year, so there are quite a few blooms in my yard this January. Of course that makes me want to plant more, surely I have room for a few more witch hazels and another patch of hellebores?

Yesterday was bright and sunny with record high temperature of 57F, but I hope the plants know it's not spring yet. I'm betting we'll have more cold weather to come.

Thanks to Carol at May Dreams Gardens for hosting this monthly roundup of blooms. There are plants blooming somewhere every month!

Hamamelis x intermedia 'Diane' just starting to bloom
Camellia 'Winter's Snowman' 
Camellia 'Winter's Snowman' 
Camellia 'Yuletide'
Helleborus 'Cinnamon Snow'
Pieris japonica
Sarcococca
Chimonanthus (Wintersweet) just starting to bloom
Viburnum x bodnantense 'Diane'
Calendula, seems likely to live through the whole winter
Borage is also hanging on


Indoors, I bought two new amaryllis bulbs this year and they are spectacular. One of my old bulbs is getting ready to bloom too.
Amaryllises in the kitchen window
Amaryllis 'Rosy Star'
Amaryllis 'Tres Chic'
Only one African violet is blooming now

What's next? More hellebores, and I'm excited to have snowdrops coming up (and so far not eaten by the wildlife).





5 comments:

  1. Your winter interest is smashing. Lovin ever bloom. Happy GBBD.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed your winter garden with so many varieties of Hellebore. They became a favorite of mine for winter interest a few years ago. Happy Bloom Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, and now I think I need more hellebores! Happy bloom day!

      Delete
  3. You have a delightful winter garden. I hope you add more hellebores and try a few snow crocus bulbs. They are terribly cheerful. Happy GBBD!

    ReplyDelete