Friday, January 20, 2017

A brief look back at 2016

January 20, 2017 - sunrise from my deck

When I started this blog last January and began to look at how to reshape my yard, my first rule was "don't take on more than I can finish and maintain". With that in mind, I narrowed my focus to three areas for the year: the rose garden, the back corner, and a section of sunny hillside.

Those links will show each area in reverse, so start from the oldest to see the full stories. I'm not big on recaps (ask me how much I hate annual performance reviews at work) but I just looked through each of those progress posts and I'm feeling pretty happy with what I started last year. Started, finished, and maintained - all are important. I started everything in my original plan and finished some, but of course already have ideas for changes, and maintaining goes on forever. I put a lot of work into my yard last year, I like where it's going, and that makes me happy.

January is a good time for gardeners to plan, and I've been thinking about what I want to focus on for 2017. I have a few new areas in mind, more about that soon!

Here are a few comparisons from last January/February to now. A garden never looks it's best in winter, but I like seeing all of the mulch instead of grass and weeds and knowing that my plants are there waiting to pop out in the spring!

Rose garden, early 2016 and 2017

Bottom section of rose garden, early 2016 and 2017

Back corner, early 2016 and 2017

Sunny hillside, early 2016 and 2017




No comments:

Post a Comment