Monday, March 7, 2016

In bloom this week: Mar. 7, 2016

Hazelnut
A lot of excitement in the garden this week! First, there are finally female flowers on my hazelnuts. I've been enjoying the catkins all winter, and saw the little red flowers on a twisted hazel down the street but couldn't find them on my trees. They must come later on the type I have, which I think is cornus cornuta californica. I really love these, for some reason never knew to look for them in all the years we've had these hazelnut trees.
See the Oregon grape in the background, blooms haven't unfurled much in the last month, but it is a nice bright yellow.

Hazelnut blooms
Then, I found the first tulip is in bloom! I just planted these last fall and the package said they were early but I didn't expect this early.

Early tulip
And my very favorite spring bush, flowering currant, is finally in full bloom after teasing for weeks. I trimmed a few branches to keep a path clear down the hillside and brought them in to brighten up the house. It's supposed to rain all week, we need some bright blooms!

Flowering currant

Flowering currant to brighten the house

No comments:

Post a Comment