Thursday, January 28, 2016

An unexpected flood

Bulbs are hardy, right?
The sun came out this afternoon so I spent a few minutes wandering around my yard, focusing on the 'pay attention to' part of minding my garden. I want to see what's growing and what the conditions are in every season. I stayed out of all planted areas to avoid compacting the soil, or sinking to my ankles in mud. Walking on the grass is... soggy, but I didn't sink much.

There was a torrential downpour of rain this morning, and yesterday and earlier in the week. Not unusual for the rainy season, although it is not really 9 months out of the year despite popular perception. So I expected the yard to be wet.
The bottom (east side) of our lot gets the soggiest, especially along the fence where the gate opens. I knew I wouldn't be able to walk through the gate without big rubber boots. But I did not expect a lake in the other corner, right where I planted a bunch of daffodils, tulips and other bulbs in the fall. I'm sure they'll be fine, bulbs are hardy.. right?
Well, I have been drooling over Siberian irises in a catalog, so if the bulbs I planted don't do well, they may be next.



Maybe more a swamp than a lake

No comments:

Post a Comment