Friday, July 7, 2017

New grape trellis

July 3, 2017

One of my projects for 2017 was to replace the grape and kiwi trellis. We put in the new round kiwi trellis in March but I didn't write about it until April, when we pulled out the grape trellis. It took a few more weeks before we got the posts and wires installed. We re-used the old posts and amazingly still had leftover wire sitting around in the garage from the original trellis, so it was just a matter of digging the post holes and putting it together.

Late January, grapes needed pruning
April 28, ready for new trellis
April 29 - looking south
April 29 - looking north

I'm finding it a lot easier to keep the grapevines pruned back now that I can easily walk along both sides - but they are pretty wild still, they grow so fast. This is only two months of growth and I've already been pruning off the longer vines!

July 3 - looking south

July 3 - looking north

I have cardboard under the vines to kill off the weeds, and looking for a good groundcover to plant. Any ideas? I am testing native wild ginger, asarum caudatum, but not sure if there is enough moisture for it. The area gets a lot of light in the winter but of course is hidden under the grape vines in the summer.

The kiwi are growing nicely too, although never as vigorous as the grape.

Kiwi, July 3

No comments:

Post a Comment