Friday, December 16, 2016

Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day - December 2016

Camellia 'Yuletide'
Our long fall is finally over with freezing temperatures at night for most of the last two weeks and a dash of snow. 

There are still a few fall blooms hanging on in my front yard, but looking tattered now. 

Creeping thyme

Hollyhocks, I doubt these buds will open all the way

A few lingering rose buds

Also a few last annuals in the hanging pots, now sitting on the back patio. 




I have just a few winter blooming plants, looking for ideas for more!

Rosemary

Chimonanthus aka wintersweet
Camellia 'Yuletide', planted in September

'Tis the season for indoor plants. It was getting dark by the time I took these pictures. 

Spider plant has been blooming most of the year

Paperwhites in the kitchen window
African violet

Also indoors - I have to show off this bearded iris from last week, it is a 'Hemstitched' that I just planted in August. I noticed that it was trying to bloom early this month and cut it before the frost. Two of the buds opened indoors and it is as lovely (and scented) as I had hoped. 



Thanks to Carol at May Dreams Garden for hosting the monthly roundup of Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day. It's nice to check out flowers from around the world in the dark of winter!

4 comments:

  1. Oh my, it's been so cold lately! Love your Yuletide Camellia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just planted it this fall, after being very indecisive about which camellias to get. I think I made the right choice!

      Delete
  2. Lovely flowers - I have never heard of growing an iris indoors. Cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was really amazed that it bloomed after I cut it and brought it inside. I had read that florists will cut them early and force them to bloom, but didn't think it would work for me.

      Delete