Monday, January 25, 2016

In bloom this week: Jan. 25, 2016


I've gotten used to what blooms first every year, but I lose track of when. I find myself thinking 'is it early for the daffodils to bloom, or is that normal?' Not that daffodils are in bloom just yet!... but they are coming up, as well as hyacinths.

Weather note: we've had slightly warm temperatures and it has been very rainy, unexpectedly so for an El NiƱo winter when the Pacific Northwest tends to be drier. Not as warm as last winter though, which was extraordinarily warm and everything bloomed early.

My chimonanthus, or wintersweet, has been blooming for a couple of weeks. The note from the previous owners said it was a 'winter blooming Asian plum', so I had to hunt online to find out what it really is. It's at least 15 years old now, and we've done very little pruning so it's more a tree than a shrub. It grows on the south side of our house and is partly shaded by the neighbor's house, which it seems to like. The flowers smell lovely, but are starting to turn brown on the edges now.

Wintersweet
Wintersweet, two weeks ago

Rosemary blooms through most of the winter in my garden. This bush is in a terraced bed that is shaded by our house and by overgrown lilacs.

Rosemary

There are also camellias blooming in the neighborhood, but I don't have any in my yard. Perhaps next year...

No comments:

Post a Comment